Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Second decade of the century

It’s already the second decade of the century! It seems so recent when the whole world waited with mixed feelings of excitement, anxiety and fear for what would happen when the clock struck 12 to usher in Y2K. Nothing extraordinary happened; no crashing of computer systems, no disruption to transportation, no blackouts….nothing. We celebrated the new year and life went on.

However, it was an eventful year for me. My little baby was starting regular school, while it was Dhivia’s first exam challenge – UPSR. I got my transfer to the school where my girls were studying so I could be with them. It was an equally important year for Karthi as he was stepping into secondary school. Suddenly, my husband got a job promotion and was transferred to KL sometime in March or April. I thought I could manage the rest of the year in Penang and join him at the end of 2000. But we all missed him so much and we weren’t comfortable with him traveling to Penang every weekend to see us. So…..we packed our stuff and joined him…a major move.

Now, 10 years later, the first year of the new decade promises to be equally eventful. Dhama is into her last year in high school, Karthi will be finishing his degree while Dhivia will be taking a bold step into Scotland to finish her final year in MPharm. My husband and I will be celebrating our silver wedding anniversary! And these are just some of the events I know will take place. This is just the beginning of the year and I wonder what else is in store for us….

On a different note, I want to share what I miss about the holidays, now that I am back in school. I never thought I’ll say this, but I’m missing my “Aiyoh, OMG” entertainment channel! Haven’t heard of it? It’s quite exclusive only to my neighbourhood!

Actually it is from my back neighbor’s house. Our kitchens are separated by a pathway which is about 1-2 meters wide, so any loud conversation in their kitchen can be heard clearly in mine. I think their Indonesian maid is new and not quite trained in our Malaysian ways. So for a couple of hours every morning, while preparing meals in the kitchen, I get to hear the exchanges between employer and maid – of course the employer is much louder and clearer then the maid. I suppose the maid must be giving unacceptable or rude answers as I hear the boss getting louder and louder….and when she has exhausted scolding the maid, she goes…Aiyoh, Oh My God!!!!Almost every time. Once I heard her scolding “…you bukan bodoh tau….” And I thought what was coming would be “you malas”. But instead she went “ you sangat, sangat, sangat, saanggaaaattttt SSSAAANNNNGGGAAATTTT BODOH! It was quite entertaining listening to them, but sometimes I wish there was a volume control button, especially when I wanted to listen to my radio.

As for school, I’m enjoying meeting many new faces in Form 3 and 4 and looking forward to my lessons with them.

It is only the 6th day of the year so I think it is still not too late to wish everyone…. Happy New Year!

0 comments: